Tuesday, February 2, 2010

my redesigned portfolio

As I mentioned last night I've been spending all my free time working on updating my portfolio. Actually, updating is an understatement. I hadn't worked on my portfolio since 2003 when I graduated from college. I took some photos so you could see what has been sucking up all my time. And maybe this will help you forgive me for neglecting my blog lately :)  See some detailed notes below...






















I bought this suitcase a couple years back with my portfolio in mind. What started out brown with travel stickers all over it is now a lovely chartreuse.

I love the color green, all shades, and that I love patterns. I bought sheets of linen book cloth and ran it through my printer with a pattern I designed. This fabric is what I used to line the entire suitcase and the inside covers of my book. I then printed all my portfolio pages and used chartreuse book cloth tape when putting the book together. I also added a large chartreuse envelope with a euro flap in the back of my book to hold copies of my resume. There is another small matching envelope that holds my business cards.

I have designed a lot of packaging. And sometimes photos do not do a project justice. Because I had this big case I wanted to build a base inside that fit examples of some of my projects. I took a piece of brown mat board and used my mat cutter to cut windows. And built a base underneath. Because you could see the recessed pockets when the pieces were removed. I lined it all with another blue patterned paper. Just a pretty detail that I think really helped finish it off. I also attached another large envelope in the top of the case to hold a catalog that I designed.

I am passionate about how things are packaged. I'm also very detailed and I wanted my entire portfolio to be a project in itself and really reflect who I am as a designer.  I hope you liked taking a peek. I'd love to hear any comments or feedback!

7 comments:

  1. Hello!!!! Devon this is so great! I love it and it totally suits you perfectly! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, great job! This seems very reflective of you and your work. And I love how it holds the packaging. Way impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thinks it's a great idea for a portfolio. Very original. Great way to show off your packaging. I will have to post this on my blog later.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ladies! It feels really good to have it all wrapped up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. I am not a designer or in the world of graphic arts, but holy cow, that is really something. So lovely. I hope it brings you good things for your professional future.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your portfolio in the suitcase - very cool!!! You are an awesome designer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy cr*p. This is fantastic! I saw your biz cards on a site earlier today and have really enjoyed poking around your blog. You're one talented lady. Hope this portfolio works wonders for you -- I can't imagine how it wouldn't!

    ReplyDelete